1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Be able to read, write, and converse fluently in English.
Hold a commercial or airline transport pilot (ATP)
certificate with an aircraft rating appropriate to the flight instructor
a. You must also hold an instrument rating to be a flight instructor in an airplane.
4. Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or training program in the following areas:
a. Fundamentals of instructing (FOI)
b. All other subject areas in which ground training is required for recreational, private, and commercial pilot certificates and for an instrument rating
5. Pass both the FOI and the flight instructor knowledge tests with scores of 70% or better.
a. You are not required to take the FOI knowledge test if you
1. Hold an FAA flight or ground instructor certificate
Hold a current teacher's certificate authorizing you to
teach at an educational level
3. Are employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university
6. Demonstrate flight proficiency (FAR 61.187).
a. You must receive and log flight and ground training and obtain a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the following areas of operations for an airplane category rating with a single-engine class rating.
1. Fundamentals of instructing
2. Technical support areas
3. Preflight preparation
4. Preflight lesson on a maneuver to be performed in flight
5. Preflight procedures
6. Airport and seaplane base operations
7. Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds
8. Fundamentals of flight
9. Performance maneuvers
10. Ground reference maneuvers
11. Slow flight, stalls, and spins
12. Basic instrument maneuvers
13. Emergency operations
14. Postflight procedures
The flight instruction must be given by a person who has
held a flight instructor certificate during the 24 months immediately preceding the date the instruction is given
and who has given at least 200 hrs of flight instruction
You must also obtain a logbook endorsement by an
appropriately certificated and rated flight instructor who
has provided you with spin entry, spin, and spin recovery training in an
airplane that is certificated for spins and
7. Successfully complete the flight instructor practical test, which will be conducted as specified in the Flight Instructor’s Practical Test Standards.
Sport Pilot Flight Instructor Requirements:
Pilots already holding a flight instructor certificate may provide flight instruction in light sport aircraft for which they hold the appropriate category and class ratings.
Pilots currently NOT holding a flight instructor certificate but would like to become a sport pilot instructor, must:
· Be at least 18 years old
· Be able to read, speak, write and understand the English language
· Hold at least a current and valid sport pilot certificate with category and class ratings or privileges as applicable
· Receive a logbook endorsement and pass an FAA knowledge test on the fundamentals of instruction listed in 61.407(a) unless you meet the requirements of 61.407(c)
· Receive a logbook endorsement and pass an FAA knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas applicable to the aircraft category and class for which flight instructor privileges are sought
· Meet the aeronautical experience requirements listed in 61.411 for the applicable aircraft sought
· Receive a logbook endorsement and pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in 61.409
· Must log at least 150 hrs as a pilot; including:
o 100 hours of flight time PIC in powered aircraft
o 50 hours of flight time in a single-engine aircraft
o 25 hours of cross country flight time
o 10 hours of cross country flight time in a single-engine airplane
o 15 hours of flight time PIC in a light sport aircraft
· Must have at least 5 hours of PIC in each make and model prior to teaching in that aircraft
Flight School | Flight Training | Alien Flight Training | Flight Instruction | Aircraft Sales | FAA Writtens | Aircraft Maintenance | Aircraft Parts | Cessna Service Center | Cessna Pilot Center | Multi Engine Training | Light Sport Aircraft | High Performance Sign Off | Advanced Pilot Training | Introductory Flight Lessons | FAA Designated Flight Examiner on staff | Sport Aircraft | Sport Flying | Aircraft rentals | Children Party, Kids Birthday Parties | Summer Camp | Gift Certificates | FAA Medicals | Flight Specials | FAA Safety Seminars | FBO | Pilot Supplies | Sport Cruiser - Light Sport Aviation | Sport Cruiser Sales in Long Island, New York, New Jersey, USA | CBRNe Convergence 2014 | CBRNe World Convergence 2014 | Hyatt Regency Long Island